eev

Re: Learning EEV

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: Learning EEV
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 21:13:51 -0300

On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 at 20:06, Quiliro Ordóñez <quiliro@riseup.net> wrote:

> > I think that the problem is that eev grew organically from my needs.
> > In the beginning I was a person who couldn't write programs longer
> > than, say, 50 lines long, as I mentioned here:
> >
> >   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2022-06/msg00802.html
> >
> > I wanted to learn lots of tools and programming languages, and I found
> > that by keeping "executable notes" of everything that I did I became
> > capable of much bigger tasks. Then eev became a collection of the best
> > minimal tools that I had - a bit like Unix, in which many of the
> > programs in the "core utils" are standard, but many of these programs
> > only make sense to new users after several years - and from time to
> > time I would declare some of my old tools obsolete, because I had
> > replacements for them that were much more elegant... for example
> > `M-x eev',
>
> Nice story.
>
> > described here,
> >
> >   (find-prepared-intro)
> >   http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-prepared-intro.html
> >
> > that was sort of replaced by eepitch.
>
> Perhaps it would be nice to have a glossary where your terms are
> described in one sentence.  I have found that I get lost in so much
> information.  When I don't understand something, I try to find the
> information about that which I do not understand.  If I do not find it,
> I do not know where to continue from there.  Sometimes the explanations
> are tool lengthy.  So I get tangled in long references to terms and lose
> my way to the main explanation.  I know that M-k is good to keep
> organized.  But I feel that it is not enough for me.  I have needed
> something more simple to start.  Now that I understand Emacs and EEV
> better, I can understand eev-begginer much better.  But I think that it
> would have been better to understand it without prior knowledge.
>
> > I _guess_ that a good way to understand how to use the tools in eev is
> > by following existing e-scripts -
>
> O.K.  What are e-scripts?
>
> > I learned Unix by understanding
> > well-written shell scripts and makefiles, so that's similar - and I've
> > been trying to create example of e-scripts that are easy to run and
> > that demonstrate techniques that I think that are important.
>
> Nice.
>
> > This is a
> > recent example:
> >
> >   (find-1stclassvideo-links "2022pict2elua")
> >
> >   Title: Pict2e-lua: a library for diagrams that is being developed
> >          with eev and test blocks
> >   MP4:   http://angg.twu.net/eev-videos/2022-pict2e-lua.mp4
> >   YT:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiHsUhGVLGM
> >   Page:  http://angg.twu.net/pict2e-lua.html
> >   Comment: A very good demo of test blocks.
> >   Date:    2022apr18
> >   Length:  8:13
>
> I watched the video.  But I did not understand.  Perhaps it is because I
> do not use or have interest in LUA.  Much of the energy I put into
> something comes from the applicability I find to my own situation.

> [...]

Hi Quiliro,

you seem to be trying to understand eev without trying it in practice,
and this usually doesn't work... please try to run the main tutorial
and tell me if - and where - there is anything in it that you can't
do. I would like to be able to answer your questions using sexp
hyperlinks, but I can't right now because I don't know which of the
"basic skills" you do have...