eliot-general

Re: [Eliot-general] Eliot in Catalan

From: Olivier Teuliere
Subject: Re: [Eliot-general] Eliot in Catalan
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:09:02 +0100

Hello Josep,

Le 22 janv. 2012 15:39, "Josep M. Mainat" <address@hidden> a écrit :
> Dear Antoine
> We live in Barcelona and we use to play SCRABBLE and other word games
> in Catalan. Eliot is one of the few online SCRABBLE pages where this
> is possible. We also love the different kind of games Eliot provides
> (duplicate, free, training and their variants).
> But we do not only play SCRABBLE but also Words with Friends, Angry Words,
> etc.
> These games use slightly different boards an rules. Also there ar some
> discrepancies in the letters. For instance Angry Words understands L·L
> and NY as one single letter, as in SCRABBLE but understands QU, LL, RR
> as two letters. Also the amount of letters in the bag is slightly
> different. Angry Words also allows for orthogonal words and the
> possibility to extend an existing word.
> I've been looking through your code and I've found difficult to find
> where these things could be changed in order to use Eliot to play
> different word games.
> Can you provide us some help to upgrade Elior to be a Catalan multi
> game player? We have some budget if necessary.

For the amount of letters, it is already possible, you just need to
create a new dictionary to suit your needs (you can use the
"Dictionary Creation Wizard" for that). However, other changes will
probably require some coding. For example, the board layout is
currently hard-coded (see game/board.cpp, lines 45 to 86), but it
shouldn't be too hard to make it customizable (loaded from a file, for
example).

What else would you need to change in Eliot to be able to play these games?

Best regards,
--
Olivier