[eLyXer-users] Re: Loading eLyXer as a module

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: [eLyXer-users] Re: Loading eLyXer as a module
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:24:22 +0100

Hi Uwe,

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Uwe Stöhr <address@hidden> wrote:
>> It is really easy. Just go to the elyxer directory (where setup.py
>> resides) and do:
>>  > python setup.py install
>
> I tried this method, but this won't work:
>
> - when eLyXer is installed as module it resides in the same path as Python:
>   C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages
>  so when the administrator updates Python (as for example at my work),
> eLyXer gets erased

It should not, as long as it is a Python 2.6.x release.

> - Installing a Python module requires Admin permissions while the official
> LyX installer provides to install LyX also only with normal user
> permissions.

This is however a big issue. I don't know how to solve it without some
Python black magic.

> - When LyX's configure.py is run, it checks if eLyXer is available. To be
> able to detect eLyXer, I would need to add C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages to
> LyX's known paths. But how should I do that? The registry doesn't have the
> information where eLyXer resides.

With the attached patch configure.py asks Python directly for a module
called elyxer. It was submitted to lyx-devel but I'm not sure if it
was accepted.

> - as we found out, eLyXer.py needs to be started with the "-tt" option of
> python. But even when I have eLyXer installed as a python package, I cannot
> simply call
>   python -tt elyxer
> but must use
>   python -tt "C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\elyxer"

In fact the -tt flag was not necessary; what did the trick was calling:
  python elyxer.py
instead of simply using elyxer.py as an executable file:
  elyxer.py

> So it turns out that installing eLyXer as Python module doesn't improve the
> current situation.

It should, although installing without admin privileges can be a problem.

Alex.