Re: [eLyXer-users] eLyXer footer

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] eLyXer footer
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:45:41 +0200

Hi Jens,

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:20 AM, Jens Nöckel <address@hidden> wrote:
> if eLyXer is to be the default LyX exporter for HTML, I would tend to agree
> with Jack that a footer should be optional but turned off by default. I don't
> have a strong opinion on this, but I am looking at it by analogy to the main
> "export" format for LyX, which is PDF. There, we don't have a footer saying
> "created using LaTeX" either...

I don't think that eLyXer is ever going to be the default HTML
exporter, since 2.0 appears to have a "native" HTML export. Anyway,
LyX can turn it off by default setting the --nofooter option.

> The HTML code already identifies eLyXer in the "generator" meta tag anyway,
> so a footer seems a bit too intrusive (even though traditionally it is true
> that HTML converters such as latex2html have that by default). Even in
> htlatex (tex4ht) there is no footer when I (e.g.) use it to export ODT
> format. The difference between eLyXer and earlier HTML converters is that it
> directly parses LyX syntax and doesn't go through LaTeX, so I would say
> eLyXer should not have a default footer if tex4ht doesn't insert one, either.

True, other HTML exporters seem to announce their names proudly. I
don't think it will hurt. In retrospective I think that it would have
helped immensely when diagnosing eLyXer problems. Do you think that it
would be enough to have an option to turn said footer off?

Alex.