Re: [eLyXer-users] Suggestion to add \stackrel support

From: Jose Ramon Alvarez Sanchez
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] Suggestion to add \stackrel support
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 02:10:25 +0200

El jue, 14-10-2010 a las 00:30 +0200, Alex Fernandez escribió:
> I have found that your proposed change left too much space between
> lines. I think I found a different set of styles that yields the same
> effect, but leaving less inter-linear space:
>[...]
> The trick is to shrink the upper line while aligning the bottom line.
> With Firefox it looks good. Can you check that it works for you?

Yes, changing line-height adds better look, but with 0.2em, in extreme
cases (like in attached document), there is some overlap.

I tried to adjust it to look more like LaTeX render, and I found
that a mix of both can look even a little better (line-heigh: 64%;
top: 0.15em; position: relative;). The 64% is from 80%font times
80%interline.

Try the following with the attached sample document and compare
Firefox render with LaTeX render (with a lot of zoom in both,
to see distance between tails and heads of letters in different lines):

span.stackrel {
        display: inline-block;
        text-align: center;
}