Re: Towards a cleaner build: other output

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Towards a cleaner build: other output
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 01:27:09 +0200

I think we've covered almost everything now.  Here are the last two
things I'm seeing that I think are sub-optimal:

  GEN      ../lisp/leim/quail/tsang-b5.el
Converting /home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/leim/CXTERM-DIC/PY-b5.tit to
quail-package...
Decoding with coding system cn-big5...
Processing header part...
Formatting translation rules...

There's a long spew of these for all(?) files in quail.  I think the
four lines after the GEN aren't interesting and should be removed.

---

The "Scanning ... for" messages:

Scanning ./net for finder
  ELC      emacs-lisp/eieio.elc
  ELC      emacs-lisp/eieio-base.elc
  ELC      cedet/semantic/db.elc
  ELC      align.elc
  ELC      allout.elc
  ELC      allout-widgets.elc
Scanning ./language for custom
Scanning ./nxml for finder
Scanning ./org for finder
Scanning ./leim for custom
Scanning ./leim/ja-dic for custom
  ELC      ansi-color.elc
Scanning ./leim/quail for custom
Scanning ./play for finder
Scanning ./progmodes for finder

(This is with a make -j8 so they're intertwined with ELC files.)

I have no opinion on whether these are helpful messages or not, but I
think (if we want to keep them) that they should use the same format as
the new messages during autoload scraping, so change them to:

  INFO     Scanning ./language for custom

etc.

---

And that's it!  We're done!  Tomorrow I can go back to reading the book
I've been stuck at on the same page for a week...