Re: master b9ac4f8.. (Fix locating pdump by symlink) breaks with stow

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: master b9ac4f8.. (Fix locating pdump by symlink) breaks with stow
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 11:12:27 -0700

>> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 09:06:37 -0700
>> From: address@hidden
>> Cc: Andy Moreton <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>>
>>  > Building commit 65d45def8d71e50d111adf1141011a5d30a27447 still fails
>> on
>>  > MSYS2 (Windows), and adds warnings:
>>
>>  I'm working on this.
>>
>> Thanks. I thought gnulib was supposed to "just work" here.
>
> It mostly does, but not in this case, evidently.  And even if it did,
> we cannot use in Emacs Gnulib modules that manipulate file names,
> because Gnulib on Windows supports only file names encodable in the
> current ANSI codepage, whereas Emacs supports the full Unicode.  Also,
> in this case there are two more problems: (1) canonicalize-lgpl.c
> doesn't support symlinks on Windows, and (2) it uses 'stat', which we
> replaced in Emacs by our own enhanced implementation.  So there are
> more than enough reasons for this changeset to require additional work
> on Windows ;-)

Ah, I didn't look all that closely at the Gnulib implementation: I was
under the impression that it was supposed to be more generally portable.
It has other questionable behavior: for example, the findprog Gnulib
module is a no-op on Cygwin even though the search path logic there is the
same as it is on other platforms.

> Thanks for fixing this issue on Posix platforms.  Did you close the
> bug which Richard opened about this?

I will.