Re: Question about display engine

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Question about display engine
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2019 11:29:57 +0200

On August 8, 2019 10:45:53 AM GMT+02:00, martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I now think it would make more sense to add an
>'extend-to-window-edge'
> >> attribute in the face definition itself.
> >
> > I like that option as a concept, but it adds a new flag to a general
> > struct like the face for something that only affects the region face
>> now. But it is very general, so maybe could be useful in the future;
>but
> > it worth to make the face even more complex?.
>
>Here I'm not interested in the region at all.  What bothers me are
>doc-strings and comments which I distinguish by setting their
>background color.  And having that color extend to the end of the line
>is annoying so I had to invent some resource consuming workarounds.
>
>martin

Yes, that's exactly the point. The only face I see that needs to be extended so
far is the region. If only the region is extended (assuming we won't stop
extending that one too) you won't need your workarounds, extra settings,
another flag in the face structure, or call extend face to end of line most of
the time.