Re: Lightweight, C-only implementation of Emacs

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Lightweight, C-only implementation of Emacs
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 07:36:04 +0200

> I'm trying to find a lightweight C-only implementation of Emacs for
> Linux. I need it for situations like this:
> https://redmine.pfsense.org/issues/9682 .

> Searching is pretty much useless due to irrelevant results. I found
> Zile at https://www.gnu.org/software/software.html#allgnupkgs , but it
> fails to build (it configures OK).

> I understand I will probably loose some functionality due to decoupling Lisp.

> Does anyone have a list of Emacs replacements?

There is a list of Emacs implementations in the Gentoo wiki:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Emacs/Emacs-like_editors

I also did a comparision of small Emacsen several years ago:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/384451 (especially, see the table attached at
https://384451.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=287721).