Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 17:52:00 -0400

   >    Is there a reason why the user needs to enable this explicitly?

   IIRC the issue is that it prevents *other* uses of the mouse in xterm.
   But I'm not quite sure what these are nor how important they are.
   Maybe it's time to make a formal request to enable it by default?

I tried it in xterm, it doesn't conflict with the standard
C-mouse-1/2/3 pop-up menus that are available there.

   > Not everyone uses xterm as their terminal of choise.

   Not sure how that's related.  `xterm-mouse-mode` should only have an
   effect in the terminals in which it works.  Are you saying that it is
   known to have undesirable side-effects in some terminals?

If it is only enabled when one uses a xterm compatible terminal, I
don't see any harm.  But it would be strange to have xterm features
enabled when ones terminal isn't xterm, and still support mousy stuff.