Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 01:06:31 +0300

On 08.09.2020 17:35, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
See, that's exactly the crux of the difficulty in these matters: ask N
people about changing defaults to M options, and you get the number of
different "please do this and this, but not that" opinions almost as
large as the number of permutations.

Honestly, I don't think that enabling (or not) display-line-numbers-mode is going to be a big deal either way: it's easy to enable or disable, and it has little far-reaching consequences otherwise.

Certainly fewer consequences that changing the default theme to dark, or enabling cua-mode by default, or even incorporating which-key.

Likewise for ibuffer vs list-buffers (though it'll be a bit harder to change back).

So either (1) we go for the lowest common denominator of features that
most people agree to (which can easily be an empty set); or (2) we
come up with groups of optional features which are turned on and off
together.

Orthogonally, we could decide on a method for changing defaults which doesn't involve the impossible task of making everybody happy but still makes some effort to change with the times.