Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Philip K.
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 19:14:29 +0200

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

> Hi Emacs:
>
> As 27 has just been released I think it is time to start considering
> changes for the release 28. I will add some points I think we could
> discuss (specially implying defaults) in order to hear opinions and have
> enough time to discuss/implement them.

Most of the discussions seems to have revolved around user-facing
changes, but I think it might also be time to clean-up some of the
internal code. There are vast discrepancies in style between newer
modules such as xref or project and older systems such as hippie-expand
and Rmail.

My hope would be that with easier interfaces to work with, that leverage
Elisp improvements, that more people would be interested in using,
supporting and extending OOTB packages/modules. My fear is that
backwards compatibility would be at risk.

---

And regarding modernizing defaults, how about bundling a few "themes"
that enable/disable a few settings. It might be confusing at first, as
most people associate themes with visual customisations, but since Emacs
interprets the term more generally, adding themes such as "Modern" that
enables more bells and whistles (I'm not too enthusiastic about the
name, some might have chosen "Hipster" instead :^)), "Minimal" that
reduces UI, etc. might be a compromise between the fractions that want
to make Emacs appealing to newcomers and those that don't want to break
Emacs' way-of-operating by default.

--
        Philip K.