Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 21:16:41 +0300

On 07.09.2020 05:17, chad wrote:

It's been a while since I dove into the research around this, but from this thread it seems to still be the case that context makes a large, in many cases overriding difference. From that link:

    For applications which provide long-form reading (books, articles,
even news sites), dark mode options are recommended.

Maybe. But it's a quote from just one of the references articles.

It also notes that matching the background to the environment (light in bright rooms, etc.) is key for sustained reading.

This is key. And you won't find many offices which match dark-background color themes, would you?

I'm not exactly against dark themes, and I use them on the phone for certain apps, but it's so much better when on my laptop the editor matches the rest of the programs, and the room around it as well.

That's my opinion, at least. I do think Emacs' new user experience could be improved by adding some options/actions on display-splash-screen, though, and I'd be happy to help with that.

Sure. I'm all for that.

And it's not too long ago that we've had a similar, much longer thread on the same topic where a lot of us expressed the same sentiment.