Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 06:54:43 +0000

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

[...]
> So what if:
>
> Could we provide a simple command line option like "emacs -m" (or any
> letter not in use) which automatically loads a set of extra
> "experimental" defaults not suitable for older users?? (the same as
> emacs -l modern.el but shorter) Like a different theme, line numbers,
> show-paren mode, and any other "modern" feature a newbie expects in a
> 2020 editor?
>
> We can also provide a .desktop only for it and equivalents to make it
> easier to find for new users. And recommend the users to add an alias if
> they like to set it as default? and add a note in the welcome screen.
>
> Is this also too crazy?

It is probably the only viable option, even if sub-optimal will be
certainly better than nothing.

Unfortunately many people evaluate this default changes in terms of how
many lines their .emacs is going to be afterwards.  This is a totally
broken metric as the only goal should be easing new users to get
onboard.

  Andrea