Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2020 09:40:47 +0200

On Tue, Sep 08, 2020 at 08:50:25AM +0800, Elias MÃ¥rtenson wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Sep 2020, 15:38 , <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
>

> > I know you're well-intentioned, but if you think about it, discussions
> > about defaults are bound to end like this, at least in a community as
> > diverse as Emacs's is (show me another piece of software which is (a)
> > user-oriented and (b) alive for over 30 years).
> >

> Maxima. Over 50 years at this point, and counting.

Yes. Thanks for that :-)

> And yes, it has the same concerns as Emacs in many areas. Remarkably
> similar in fact.

I see. I'd like there to be a way to have such discussions in a
fashion that is constructive: on the one side, the enthusiasm of
people arriving and saying "hey, let's change the world!" is very
valuable, and it's always sad to see it chilled, on the other side
the experience lurking in the old and seasoned corpus (an more
than that: the community) is as valuable.

I'd like to see such exchanges with no hurt feelings. On the contrary,
they should be enjoyable for all parties alike.

Is that the philosopher's stone? Or am I becoming senile?

Cheers
 - t