Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 09:37:42 +0000

I'd like to see some of these studies. "Dark mode" goes against what so many people have been doing for centuries (think of books for example) that I'm really curious to see why they were wrong.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-28904-x

“We found that reading dark text on bright background reduces choroidal thickness in one hour, while reading bright text on dark background increases the thickness of the choroid. Since choroidal thickness changes are precursors for future changes in eye growth, we expect that there will be selective effects on subsequent myopia development.”

Okay, so according to these authors, in essence "light mode" might perhaps in the long term lead to more myopia. There is no causal relation, they only "expect" something, and their expectation might very well be what is known as a "cum hoc ergo propter hoc" fallacy. In short, that's already an interesting indication, but I'll wait to see (much) more studies like this before being convinced.