Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 21:07:09 +0300

On 07.09.2020 11:38, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-28904-x

   “We found that reading dark text on bright background reduces
choroidal thickness in one hour, while reading bright text on dark
background increases the thickness of the choroid. Since choroidal
thickness changes are precursors for future changes in eye growth, we
expect that there will be selective effects on subsequent myopia
development.”

I wouldn't take this at face value. First, the big "conclusion" in there is based on conjecture, we don't know the underlying choroid <-> myopia mechanism, and whether it's causation or correlation.

Second, the example dark-on-light color choice in the article (Figure 1) is obviously terrible and low-contrast. I wouldn't recommend anyone to use it.

Third, and this is of course anecdotal, I had an episode in my mid-twenties where I started having problems with vision (blurriness, low perception in the dark, etc), and it only got better when I made sure to use good, strong lighting everywhere, good contrast screens, etc, which is the predominant ergonomic advice these days. 10 years later, my vision is 20/20.

Another advice from the same category is that the brightness and contrast levels of your screen should match the rest of the room, and more specifically, the room (or wall) behind the screen. So dark themes have their uses, of course (for reading in the dark: on the phone in the evening outside; on the airplane; etc). But I'm quite sure defaulting to a light theme for general work is still better for most people.