Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 21:10:03 -0300

So we all want this modern-ish "layer" for Emacs. If I haven't missed
anything, the main ideas on how to activate it are:

  1) it will be the new default, or

  2) it will be toggled by a command-line option like "-m" (btw, is
     this viable on M$ Windows?), or

  3) there will be a button in the splash screen that toggles it,

  4) it can be toggled via Customize,

  5) it can be turned on by a built-in command like M-x
     use-the-new-super-cool-rad-layer.

In my not-so-humble-at-all opinion the recommended way to install this
new layer should START as a progn. The developers' page should say
something like: at this moment the modern-ish layer is still
experimental; to try it copy the 5-line "(progn ...)" below to an
Emacs buffer, put the cursor after the close-parenthesis in the last
line, and type C-x C-e - this will execute the whole (progn ...), and
this will install the super-cool-rad-layer and make it the default:

  (progn (Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetuer adipiscing elit)
     (Ut purus elit vestibulum ut placerat ac adipiscing vitae felis)
     (Curabitur dictum gravida mauris)
     (Nam arcu libero nonummy eget consectetuer id vulputate a magna)
     )

This reminds me of a discussion that happened in February in the Lua
mailing list, about "we need a super-user-friendly distribution of Lua
that comes with all batteries included". In one of my messages to that
discussion - at http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2020-02/msg00036.html