Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 14:45:52 +0200

On Mon, Sep 07, 2020 at 02:31:36PM +0200, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> This just showed up in my feed:
>
>    https://phaazon.net/blog/editors-in-2020
>
> It's kinda interesting -- they go through a bunch of editors and list
> what works/doesn't work for them.  Key quote:
>
> * The defaults of emacs are really, really bad. And making the whole thing
> like
>  what you get with DOOM Emacs is going to cost you lots of hours reading
>  documentation and experimenting with your configuration. I enjoyed doing it
> but
>  in the end… why simply not ship emacs with those defaults? Is it due to
>  historical reasons that no one cares about anymore nowadays? /stares at vim

This is, of course, Dimitri Sabadie's take on it. It's an interesting
read, and one can learn a lot about it.

Still I spot this horrible anti-pattern ("my opinion matters, others
don't exist", cf the above: "Is it due to historical reasons that no
one cares about anymore nowadays?" -- has Dimitri ever talked to someone
who might "care nowadays" or does he postulate his POV to be the only one?).

Same goes for those terms subtly transporting a judgment like "modern".
They don't go well with those people implicitly being relegated to
"not existent" or "old".

I'd like to see some integrative efforts on part of those proposing
changes -- more akin to "what can be done to cater to all?" instead
of "let's change the defaults to look more like VSCode!".

Discussing the defaults one by one (as proposed by Eli) might be one
good step in that direction.

After all, we don't gain anything by attracting two VSCoders and
kicking out five old-timers here.

Cheers
 - t