Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Eduardo Ochs
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 18:04:14 -0300

Is there a way to have both standard Emacs and Doom Emacs available at the same time? Is there a way to run the standard Emacs and then make it load the Doom code? Where can we find instructions for that? Is Doom Emacs user-friendly to long-time Emacs users that would want to turn the Doom layer on for only a few minutes each week?

  Cheers & thanks in advance,
    Eduardo Ochs

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020, 10:06 Gregory Heytings via Emacs development discussions., <emacs-devel@gnu.org> wrote:

> The defaults of emacs are really, really bad. And making the whole thing
> like what you get with DOOM Emacs is going to cost you lots of hours
> reading documentation and experimenting with your configuration.

That's just wrong.  If you want Doom Emacs, you just have to type two
commands:

git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/hlissner/doom-emacs ~/.emacs.d

~/.emacs.d/bin/doom install

The first commands takes two seconds to complete, the second one about
five minutes (it downloads and compiles about 200 MB of code, fonts,
icons, ...).  Then you start Emacs, and you're done.  That's clearly not
"lots of hours".