Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2020 19:30:28 +0200

On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 12:19:10PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Emacs a try, as we all do from time to time for programs we don't know,
expecting that they would first watch videos (or to read introductory
material) sets the bar way too high.

Yes and no: many (young) people seem to spend most of their time
watching videos (as in, watching videos is their equivalent to my being
idle).  But admittedly, those videos usually last 10s or so (and if not,
they switch to the next video anyway), so we'd have to use *very* short
videos, ideally funny and sexy, maybe with a cat?

       Stefan

To start lets see what video series are around and it seems to be some
material already (and the most important, people willing to do emacs
videos):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBcw42ZGJDo&list=PLstWlvURJNxQknxEfkIktiPDfUrAUC8s6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49kBWM3RQQ8&list=PL9KxKa8NpFxIcNQa9js7dQQIHc81b0-Xg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V27zOhfN8Ys&list=PLGP2UnPoZ7HzLGU2cyK1MXSZwXy5niFkk

So far (as I have seen most of those) they have just 3 issues:

1) Put most of the attention in the external packages and not in the
vanilla functionalities.

2) They are not connected or referenced in the emacs web site. But also
they make little or no reference to the manual at all.

3) I saw a series of vim tutorials and the videos were sealing vim much
better. Even the vim terrible modes they found a way to sale them as
features..

4*) There are very few videos about elisp language and programming or
the emacs infrastructure.