Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 15:44:24 +0000

Would it not be better to have a "guided tour" (something like C-h t, but shorter and more "modern") for first-time users (those without a .emacs / .emacs.d)? This is quite common in "modern" software, so it would not surprise anyone.
[...]
(In fact, it would perhaps make sense to create a few guided tours, with an initial question "Are you a programmer? a scientist? a teacher? a writer?" with which the set of options could be narrowed.)

Why not instead just have nicer introductory material? E.g. videos that walk through initial customisation for different setups, that discuss and explain things, talk about tangents.

That's too complex IMO. I at least would never have the patience to watch N videos to discover such things. If the target is users who just give Emacs a try, as we all do from time to time for programs we don't know, expecting that they would first watch videos (or to read introductory material) sets the bar way too high.

The wizard idea from another thread is nice, but I’m not a fan of a whole guided tour. Most probably people would want to skip it. A blocker just as your first boot a program is not nice.

I was thinking of something very simple, with say five screens. There are at least two examples I have in mind and which I find rather pleasing to go through: the Debian installer and the macOS installer.

A rough draft:

Screen 1: Welcome! Please tell us something about you: are you (a) a programmer, (b) a teacher, (c) ...

Screen 2: Choose a theme (font + colors).

Screen 3: A few (at most twenty) common options to turn on or off, with a short explanation for each option. "cua-mode" is a good candidate for this screen. A button "Other options" could open another similar screen with a few other less common options to turn on or off.

Screen 4: Some basic explanations: what "C-" and "M-" mean, what is the minibuffer, ...

Screen 5: Thank you and welcome on board! You'll find a list of extensions that you may find useful in the menu "Extensions".

The menu "Extensions" would be populated depending on the user kind selected in screen 1.