Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 13:38:05 +0800

>   > 1. The welcome screen has too much information and new user simply
>   > ignores it
>
> What Emacs version were you using?

I am on master.

Strictly speaking, it is not too much information (just single page),
but rather that the information does not look important. The guided tour
is grouped together with warranty and redistribution - things people
largely ignore.

I believe that it is better to put more emphasis on the guided tour (and
change the tour as I suggested in my email and later replying to the
request about tramp defaults with even more details).

Probably something like the following:

Welcome to GNU Emacs, one component of the GNU/Linux operating system.

    First time using Emacs? Check out how it is different from other
                             editors:
           <larger font> Emacs Guided Tour </larger font>
               (if you don't, you may be confused)

Emacs Tutorial  Learn basic keystroke commands
Emacs Guided Tour       Overview of Emacs features at gnu.org
<...>

>   > 3. File opening dialogue is completely throwing the new user off -
>
> Can you say concretely what you mean by "file opening dialogue"?  We
> don't use the term "dialogue", and I can't see how it fits anything in
> Emacs.

That point can be disregarded. Emacs uses graphical dialog (see
`use-file-dialog') when user tries to open file from menu or toolbar,
but I did not know it because helm overrides that behaviour. I filed bug
report in helm. The problem should be fixed now.

Best,
Ihor