Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 12:21:23 +0200

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Speaking of which, it would be useful to sit down with a new user just
> trying Emacs and see what perse actually complains about or requests.
> If several people do this, it could give us useful ideas of what changes
> would actually make Emacs more appealing to new users.

I don't think that's likely to result in anything very interesting,
really.

Looking at the runaway success of DOOM Emacs (or Spacemacs), they're
distributions created by people with a specific point of view, and with
a specific user interface vision in mind.  That can't be achieved by
a committee, and the results will be totally unsuitable for some people.

But I think that's what Emacs should support: Just like emacs-devel
doesn't bikeshed themes -- we just let whoever make them make them the
way they like, and then distribute the result -- we should create a way
to specify "layers", and then invite people to create them, without
micromanaging them.  And then distribute the result in vanilla Emacs,
but with an easy, obvious way for users to switch these "layers" on and
off.

I.e., I want the enthusiasm of these people making these distributions
to infect mainline Emacs.