Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 12:36:22 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 11.09.2020 09:01, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Disabling the menu bar and the tool bar, let alone doing that by
>> default, makes very little sense to me.  I'm running with both of them
>> enable, although I rarely if ever use them.
>
> Toolbar takes up space. We also reportedly have less than high quality icons
> in
> there, on some platforms more than others.
>
> The distros we're talking about usually pride themselves (among other things)
> on
> "slick" appearance and keyboard-only interaction.
>
> There's a small chance they will enable the menu by default just because you
> asked, but the toolbar is a lost cause.
Which distro does disable menus and toolbars in a text editor by
default? I don't even know of a distro that offers Emacs as a default
text editor. In some distros Emacs is only the "community effort", not
even packaged by distro developers. Anyway, if users choose such a
distro, which is not some of mainstream distros I guess, then they are
probably aware and experienced enough to sort out things for themselves
and enable Emacs gui if they wish, or they should be left to explore it
by themselves.