Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 15:35:40 +0300

> Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 14:19:19 +0200
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>, rekado@elephly.net, ghe@sdf.org,
>       drew.adams@oracle.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Could you reconsider my proposal of an undo-redo-mode to:
>
> - Add the extra icon in the toolbar.

I believe I already agreed to that.  We even had a patch posted for
it, and I commented on it.

> - Change the undo action in menu-bar and tool-bar by undo-only instead.

We need more opinions for this one.  If many people agree to it, I
won't object.

> - Bind undo-redo to something in the keyboard.

If you can find a good key that is vacant, sure, why not?

> - To enable it in some of the proposed user "profiles"

Since we don't have any profiles yet, this is not something we can do.

> - Not bother the users that somehow won't like to have all that.

Having said all of the above, I'm now asking myself (and you) why do
we have to have a special mode for this?  None of these measures
contradicts the default operation of undo via C-/, so we could simply
have this by default.

> Having undo with an undo-redo in the same "state" could be confusing as
> the normal undo could do also redo IMO.

If the user uses the menus or the tool bar, the confusion will be
spared, right?