Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 01:29:42 +0300

On 12.09.2020 00:17, Ergus wrote:
On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 12:00:48AM +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:

So there will be contradiction between the menu and the keyboard?

Hopefully not: With the undo-redo-mode; undo icon will do undo-only as
well as the keyboard and toolbar-icon.

Indeed.

Otherwise; maybe it is easier to keep everything there as now (undo and
redo in toolbar and menubar and no undo-redo-mode) but add an option
like default-undo-command to set the undo-only as the default undo
either in the keyboard, toolbar and menubar if someone (like me) don't
like at all the default undo.

I don't know if that's possible with a simple remap... is it?

It's unlikely to be as seamless as toggling undo-redo-mode.

BTW: everybody agrees in set undo-redo to C-? and M-_??

No objections so far, and the bindings are free, so...

We can change the exact keys later anyway.

Personally I still think that a mode is better. But I trust more in Eli's
opinion than mine in this topics.

Since Eli clarified that his objection is not hard (email from 11.09.2020, 16:13), perhaps you should go ahead and propose a concrete patch for review.