Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 20:43:50 +0300

On 14.09.2020 06:51, Richard Stallman wrote:

   >  > (The bindings for undo ensure it can be typed with just one
   >  > shift key on all usual terminals.)

   > C-_, one of the two existing bindings for 'undo', has the exact same
   > problem.

Not on a tty.  On a tty you can type Ctrl-minus and you get that
character.

Interesting. I never would have guessed.

Undo has two 1-key bindings, C-_ for ttys and C-/ for consoles with
the full space of input characters.  Each requires just one shift key
on the consoles it is meant for.

I see. There is certain elegance in that, but I'd say it's not very discoverable. Especially when you get C-_ by typing Ctrl-/ in xterm, but you need to press Ctrl-- in a tty. And with a yet another behavior in X.

Going back to the proposed bindings for 'redo', a certain popular package we have seen mentioned in this discussion uses them (undo-tree). So they have been proven in the field, for many years.

Most new users might prefer to see C-z for undo and C-S-z for redo, of course, but I don't think we can do anything about that, other than add a C-S-z binding to cua-mode.