Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 09:12:29 +0300

> Cc: rekado@elephly.net, ghe@sdf.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>  drew.adams@oracle.com
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 00:00:48 +0300
>
> > As long as we keep this on the menu and the tool bar, there will be no
> > reason for a "war".
>
> So there will be contradiction between the menu and the keyboard?

Yes.  We already have quite a few of them, so one or two more cannot
hurt.

> > How can it be confusing that 2 different commands produce different
> > results?  Why isn't it confusing today, when we already have these 2
> > commands?
>
> The menu item doesn't exactly say which command it is invoking.

It does, if you invoke "C-h k".

If you don't ask Emacs what the menu item invokes, then the text of
the menu item and the help-echo string are the only description you
get, and that is so for all the other menu items.  So there's nothing
new here.

> So I think that statement is missing the point: we should endeavor for
> predictable and consistent sets of menu items, key bindings, and other
> features.

I agree, but the criteria for "predictable and consistent" might be
something other than "make the keybindings and menus invoke identical
commands".  Because if that's the criteria, we are already in
violation of them.