Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 23:57:28 -0400

  > 2) Modeline: Our modeline is a kind of relic from other times. With the
  > same gray color in the terminal and some cryptic information. It also
  > shows the line but not the column by default and the file status is
  > somehow in that cryptic initial part I don't think many users understand
  > very well.

Changing this is easy.  The hard part is deciding what to change it
to.

  > Just adding an * to the filename in modeline (and or tab when using
  > them) or changing the color is easier to understand. Than -UUU:----F1

Sorry, I can't parse that.

  > You can see all the popular alternatives around.

Sorry, I am lost.  Who can see what, when?

  > 3) Colors: People prefer higher contrast in general 4 example: in my
  > system when the region es enabled the default gray color is so light
  > that I can't see it. Same applies to icon that when enabled or disabled
  > the difference sometimes is minimal.

It is easy to change these colors.  The hard part is determining
precisely what change to make, and deciding what change to make.

  > 4) Right click: (Probably it is the most lacking functionality and
  > surprising for any user not using the terminal.) Right click is expected
  > to bring a panel with the most common operations. It is useful, fast
  > and somehow standard since 1995 while removing most of the needs of the
  > toolbar which takes precious vertical space.

We can easily add more right-click menus.  What we need is
a set of concrete proposals for what to add, in which modes
or on what text.

--
Dr Richard Stallman