RE: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2020 16:24:22 +0000 (UTC)

Nostradamus (Philip K) was right when he whispered,
in the wee hours of a morning:

> after reaching a critical-mass ... it loses it[s]
> novelty value, it will look even more outdated (or
> perhaps even "cringe")

> What use[d] to be cool, fresh and new, was that
> only because it managed to make use of new
> technical capabilities, that previously limited
> the design (higher density displays, enough spare
> computational power to render excessive animations, etc.).
>
> These tendencies usually go too far, and
> eventually this excess is commonly understood.

But by then we'll have 1000s, if not 1000000s, of
new emacs-devel participants who'll be happy to
argue over and (try to) update those newly
old-fashioned novelties.

And of course some of those ex-newbies will argue
to keep the once-novel thingies that they've become
accustomed to or learned to love.  Others will
storm the ramparts...

> The UX or an "ideal" work flow in Emacs doesn't
> match that of VSC or Atom, and by reflecting that
> in the design, we don't stand to gain a modern UI,
> but "break" the UX.  Emacs is different...

> If this is modern, I'd very much argue against
> modernizing.

Oh, Nostra, Baby, you're such a loser boomer, at
heart.  ;-)

+1.