Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 21:47:13 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
>> Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, spacibba@aol.com, casouri@gmail.com,
>>  emacs-devel@gnu.org, ams@gnu.org, ghe@sdf.org, tecosaur@gmail.com
>> Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 18:45:19 +0200
>>
>> > But is it certain that we can only do a partial job here?  I don't
>> > think so, and the fact that we succeed in producing good results on
>> > other platforms is evidence to that.
>>
>> If we set the region colour according to the GTK colour theme we would
>> need to make sure that none of the other faces use a colour that would
>> be hard to distinguish from the region colour.  To do a complete job
>> would require to set the colours in *all* faces according to the GTK
>> colour theme.
>>
>> Just the default colour will do nothing to remove the colour clash
>> between e.g. font-lock-comment-face and the region colour.
>
> How is this different from other platforms we support?  This stuff
> does work there.  It works because, as Stefan points out, Emacs adapts
> its face colors to the background color of the default face: we have
> separate sets of colors for light and dark backgrounds.

I don’t understand.  There is a clear problem here in that the
font-lock-comment-face is dark red and the region colour is whatever the
GTK theme says it should be.  So unless font-lock-comment-face is also
set according to the GTK theme’s colours there is no way to avoid this
unfortunate combination of colours (dark red on dark background) without
customization.

FWIW neither the dark red colour nor the region background colour
changes when I change frame-background-mode.

--
Ricardo