Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: "modern" colors Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 18:45:19 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, spacibba@aol.com, casouri@gmail.com,
>>  emacs-devel@gnu.org, ams@gnu.org, ghe@sdf.org, tecosaur@gmail.com
>> Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 23:43:11 +0200
>>
>> Perhaps it’s a mistake to obey external colour settings at all, when we
>> can only do it partially anyway.
>
> But is it certain that we can only do a partial job here?  I don't
> think so, and the fact that we succeed in producing good results on
> other platforms is evidence to that.

If we set the region colour according to the GTK colour theme we would
need to make sure that none of the other faces use a colour that would
be hard to distinguish from the region colour.  To do a complete job
would require to set the colours in *all* faces according to the GTK
colour theme.

Just the default colour will do nothing to remove the colour clash
between e.g. font-lock-comment-face and the region colour.

--
Ricardo