Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 00:34:50 -0400

  > * Rename undo in simple.el to something descriptive.
  > ** Perhaps undo-sequence or undo-branching?

To rename the command would be an incompatible change that would break
programs.  To define an alias would not be a problem, but we would
need to think of a good one.  I don't see any resemblance between
undo-sequence or undo-branching and what undo does.

Perhaps undo-or-redo would be a meaningful name.

  > * Change the default action of C-z, at least in gui frames, to call the
  > above undo rather than suspend frame.

I don't like making the default bindings for important commands
vary for different types of frames.  On tty frames we NEED suspend-frame.

But we could have a mode to rebind keys which would rebind C-z.

  > ** Also add a binding for C-Z (aka C-S-z) to call redo-only. I'm unsure if
  > this should be bound to something else if the "simple.el undo" method is
  > chosen, or if an alternative binding for C-Z would be better there.

Having C-z be different is ok in a special mode to rebind keys, but
in the default bindings we should not start making shift significant
for control keys.

--
Dr Richard Stallman