Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: A new user perspective about "Changes for emacs 28"
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 17:37:11 +0300

On 11.09.2020 16:15, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
    > As I see almost everyone agrees that Emacs has best undo-redo mechanism
    > that is out there, right?  I tend to agree with this.

    Do you mean 'M-x undo'?

    As you can see from the recent messages, a lot of users prefer undo-tree
    or even undo-only+undo-redo rather than the default undo.

One shouldn't take the very small amount of users that are on
emacs-devel as a metric,

I don't. My observations usually come from outside of emacs mailing lists, but having such examples here is easier to refer to.

there are plenty of users who prefer the
default undo behaviour too.

I'm sure there are plenty of users who prefer either approach, as well as a significant fraction who got used to the current undo just because it's Emacs's default, and could have adapted to a different default just the same.

Only one of these approaches is familiar to non-Emacs users, however, and would make Emacs a bit more welcoming to beginners.