Re: Changes for emacs 28

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Changes for emacs 28
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 20:45:56 +0000

This is exactly the point I was putting in question: My take is that popularity is part of a giant feedback loop, so it's *both*, a symptom and a cause. And a (non-negligible) set of forces driving that feedback loop are the marketing departments of big corps [1]. They wouldn't be doing their jobs if it weren't so.

This is not clear at all IMO. When users choose to use VS Code or Atom or Emacs or ..., they choose between a number of free (as in beer) products. In such cases I tend to think that marketing plays little if any role, and that it's the quality of the product that matters. More precisely, not the absolute quality, but the quality for newcomers. As Chad wrote: "it's much easier/more intuitive to get started" or "it's quick/easy/obvious how to get it to 'it just-works'".

Failing to see this leads to this over-eager "how can we change Emacs to make it more popular" thing, instead of to a more balanced view, where potential changes are judged against a more complete set of principles and goals (newcomer friendliness surely being one of them!).

IMO, it's pointless to discuss whether Emacs should be changed, or how potential changes should be judged. In fact I don't understand why such discussions/debates take place: Emacs is likely the most flexible of all available editors, and can be adapted to all imaginable needs.

So the only thing that should change in Emacs is that it should be made easier (even more: as easy as possible) to customize and understand for newcomers.