Re: A modern-mode?

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: A modern-mode?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 17:30:28 +0100

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 03:54:28PM +0000, Andrea Corallo via Emacs development
discussions. wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I'm okay with that if we drop the "modern" part.  How about
> > emacs-2021-mode?
>
> I like this one too :) But would still be possible to have it enabled
> with a command line option?  I mean if every new release we have a new
> version of this mode (theme?) either we loose this ability or we have
> the command line option binded to the most recent one.

Easy, make it "emacs -2021", then in a few years when we decide that's
no longer modern looking we can add "emacs -2023", and so on forever.
;)

Personally I dislike the idea of turning it on with a command line
option, I'd rather we just give them a customize option linked from
the splash screen or whatever, merging two competing proposals.
--
Alan Third