Re: Theme generator (was: solarized)

From: chad
Subject: Re: Theme generator (was: solarized)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 17:25:15 -0700

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 6:49 PM Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:

At present, while you have all the power to customize faces, it isn't necessary easy to get things consistent. [...]

The spacemacs setup also has a pretty straight-forward way to tweak existing themes with their theming-modifications list, which makes it easy to tweak specific settings for specific themes (and ensures they are applied when themes change or are re-loaded etc).

I recently tried to do a very similar task in a way that didn't feel hacky. I set myself a pretty short timeout, and didn't make it, so this idea sounds interesting. Digging in, I found this example (link to github): https://github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs/tree/develop/layers/%2Bthemes/theming#example

(defun dotspacemacs/user-init ()
  (setq theming-modifications
        '((monokai
           ;; Font locking
           (font-lock-comment-face :slant italic)
           (web-mode-html-attr-name-face :inherit font-lock-variable-name-face
                                         :foreground nil)
           ;; Modeline
           (powerline-active1 :box (:color "#999999"
                                    :line-width 1
                                    :style released-button)
                              :background "#5a5a5a")))))

That seems useful (although not enough, personally, to drag in all of spacemacs). Has anyone else tried this "theme layer" from Spacemacs? Should we try to adapt it to emacs core?

Thanks!
~Chad