Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 09:38:20 -0400

   > The original proposal read to me that the original splash screen would
   > be something different when you have .emacs, or when you do not.

   So is yours, no?

I was thnking, where >> is the part that gets added when there is no
.emacs -- this keeps existing behaviour, and isn't as intrusive.  It
could be listed under Useful tasks too.

  Welcome to GNU Emacs, a part of the GNU operating system.
  To follow a link, click Mouse-1 on it, or move to it and type RET.
  To quit a partially entered command, type Control-g.

>>    You don't have a personal Emacs configuration file, would you
>>    like to run the configuration wizard, just use vanilla Emacs, or
>>    try a different default?

  Important Help menu items:
  Emacs Tutorial                Learn basic Emacs keystroke commands
  Read the Emacs Manual View the Emacs manual using Info
  (Non)Warranty         GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
  Copying Conditions    Conditions for redistributing and changing Emacs
  More Manuals / Ordering Manuals  How to order printed manuals from the FSF

  Useful tasks:
  Visit New File                Specify a new file’s name, to edit the file
  Open Home Directory   Open your home directory, to operate on its files
  Customize Startup     Change initialization settings including this screen

  GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-openbsd, GTK+ Version 3.24.20)
   of 2020-05-09

  If an Emacs session crashed recently, type M-x recover-session RET
  to recover the files you were editing.