Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 22:10:09 +0200

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 11:57:37PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

 > This was just an examples of discussions that have been for years in
 > this mailing list and changes that the legacy users have opposed and
 > vetoed

Please do not call us "legacy users".  That is a harsh thing to say of
anyone.  It implies that Emacs inherited us and is stuck with us.

Sorry. That was the expression I found to describe users used to emacs
as is (including me) but that oppose to many changes (so not like me).

I usually describe features and changes I see in other editors that
indeed are not beneficial for me at all because I already spent a lot of
time learning the "emacs way". So in that sense I am also a legacy
user. Most of the changes I propose are indeed very simple; just details
and bindings that for external users are important and need constantly
and are included in emacs since many years.

But after all I understood that it is very hard to convince anyone
(students, colleges, projects managers) to invest so much time and
reading to learn how to do something simple they already know how to do
everywhere else. We can't even sale the idea that it is faster,
available everywhere, or more ergonomic like vim does.

Changing some of these will probably force me to re-learn many things;
but I am fine with that if that implies that the editor becomes more
attractive for more users. Otherwise we are just dying slowly with every
time less and less people in a world with exponentially more and more
programmers (with need to use an editor; the knowledge to become
maintainers and fresh ideas).

--
Dr Richard Stallman