Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]

From: Philip K.
Subject: Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 23:58:24 +0200

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

> But after all I understood that it is very hard to convince anyone
> (students, colleges, projects managers) to invest so much time and
> reading to learn how to do something simple they already know how to do
> everywhere else.

I sometimes feel this aspect is overstated. Yes, you might be a bit
confused at first, but learning the basics of *using* Emacs isn't a
intellectual endeavour. Arrow keys work, "Home", "End", "Delete"
too. "Copy-Pasting" is probably the first big hurdle, but that's just a
1:1 mapping at first. Buffer and window management are 3-4 keybindings
each. Working with files really only requires understating how to open
files and how to save them. With these few keybindings, you already know
the basics. I've seen people stick to vim just because it's cool knowing
less about the editor.

Sure, if someone's in a hurry to edit a file, they don't want to learn
how to use a proper Editor first, but I don't think that Emacs should be
geared towards that demographic either. If you want to open a file via
the GUI, change a few words and forget about it, Gedit/Kwrite/Mousepad
is probably a better choice (with better DE integration).

--
        Philip K.