Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 22:41:11 +0300

>> In other apps, the same is achieved by double-click
>> (`mouse-1') on a word, then double-click the same
>> (`mouse-1') on another word while holding down the Shift key.
>
> And that's better why?  Having to use both the
> keyboard and the mouse?

So what?  There are many mouse commands in Emacs
that require pressing a modifier key.

>> But what if you need first to select a line, then extend
>> the selection to a word?  In other apps, triple-click a line,
>> then double-click `mouse-1' on a word while holding down the Shift key.
>> In Emacs, this is impossible.
>
> Granted.  But again, both keyboard and mouse.
>
> We could provide a keyboard + mouse combination
> for such use cases if that were a common need.

Isn't this already a common need?  For example,
when a user selects a word by double-clicking it,
and then needs to extend the selection to the middle
of another word.  Currently impossible in Emacs with mouse-3.

>> Also in other apps Shift+F10 opens the context menu,
>> but why not in Emacs?
>
> That's orthogonal.  Nothing prevents also having
> a keyboard key sequence to open a context menu.
> (Presumably the "location" it refers to would
> be point.)

This is still related: since there is no context menu on mouse-3,
there is a need for a keyboard equivalent compatible with other apps.