Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Context menus and mouse-3 [was: Changes for emacs 28]
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 03:53:52 -0700

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:

> Constructively, I propose to include in Emacs a new mode
> (with a name like 'modern-mouse-mode') where
>
> - down-mouse-3 and mouse-3 pop up the context menu
>   containing at least the items "Cut", "Copy", "Paste", "Undo", "Redo"
>   (and only "Copy" when the buffer is in read-only mode);
> - holding down the Shift key while using mouse-1 adjusts
>   the already active region;
> - dragging the active region moves it to the place
>   where the mouse-1 was released;
> - dragging the active region copies it to another place
>   while holding down the Control key;
> - holding down the Shift key while scrolling with mouse wheel
>   scrolls the buffer horizontally;

I agree with all of this.

But why not make this the default?  It's a low hanging fruit where there
is no reason not to make Emacs like other editors (well, except for
hysterical raisins).

Presumably none of it would cause any major problems for existing power
users.  Most discussions here seem to indicate they are more inclined to
use they keyboard than the mouse.