Re: feature/icomplete-vertical

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: feature/icomplete-vertical
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 16:43:16 +0200

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 01:59:18PM +0000, Gregory Heytings wrote:

Hi Stefan and Gregory:

Here it is so far my last patch about vertical only feature. Please feel
free to correct it.

I removed the format variable and now to get vertical we only need to
add at least a \n to the separator. With the simple cases I tested it
works.

Stefan:

As you requested for a single feature I will remove the remote branch
again and push one only with this commit.

Gregory:

I took the freedom to add one condition from your code and added it to
mine. (The one for empty candidates)

I didn't do this before because I was keeping the first candidate in the
same line so it made sense to keep the empty one. So after all I will
condition this condition in a future too; when I add options to
remove/change the [] and ().

The other one

(prospects-max (- icomplete--prospects-available-height (/ (point)
(window-width))))

I think is good for continuation lines, but I am not sure if that's
better than truncate line and horizontally scroll because in that case
the proposed candidates will be very long as well and continuing them
will reduce their number to the half too. (I took ivy as a pattern for
this)

So I will wait for other users' suggestions about what they prefer OR
take this condition conditionally in case the user explicitly disables
the lines truncation.

Best,
Ergus