Re: feature/icomplete-vertical

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: feature/icomplete-vertical
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 16:19:10 +0000

Yes, hence the question is "why". I suspect it has to do with the way we insert the extra text and by teaking it we may work around this problem.

Do you have pointers where one might try to find the "why"?  xdisp.c?

We could/should also consider this as a problem in the redisplay, so maybe you should file a bug report for it.

It's a well-known problem, with already several bugs filed.

In any case, your example shows that it's not a new problem introduced by icomplete-vertical, so fixing it should likely be orthogonal to the addition of icomplete-vertical.

Indeed. In fact AFAICT so far everyone tries to work-around that bug/feature/limitation/... by doing what we were trying to do, which amounts (as you wrote) to redoing or approximating what redisplay does.