Re: Interactive guide for new users

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 20:25:03 +0300

> From: "Philip K." <philipk@posteo.net>
> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 19:16:33 +0200
> Cc: Göktuğ Kayaalp <self@gkayaalp.com>,
>  Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
>  Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>, emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>

> An issue I can imagine is that a lot of the options that would be
> displayed in a wizard like this wouldn't mean too much to
> newcomers. "Helm" or "Ivy"? "Projectile"? Even Emacs-native packages are
> often confusing ("Hippie-Expand", "Xref", etc.). Without a way to test
> and find out what these options _mean_, you would only be helping people
> that could already help themselves.

The interactive guide is supposed to offer non-default options that
make Emacs UI more similar to what newcomers might expect.  It wasn't
supposed to offer loading large packages such as those which you name,
certainly not packages that are not bundled with Emacs.

But yes, deciding which options to offer and how to arrange them is
the hard part of this job.