Re: Interactive guide for new users

From: Eduardo Mercovich
Subject: Re: Interactive guide for new users
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 18:43:15 -0300

Hi.

If we agreed on the general vision it's perfectly possible to do as the
1st step (MVP in some modern parlance) only the "General editor
preferences" or the "Org-mode preferences". And even there, just a few
of them.

My advice is not try to bite a too large chunk of this -- the job is
not easy even without that.

Sure. It's just a vision, there is no commitment, just a bit of thought
to augment the probability of future integrity from an interaction
design perspective. :)

The idea proposed here is:
1. distributions first [...]

I don't see any need to do this, certainly not as the first step.  If
someone wants one of those versions, they don't need us.

New users don't know they exist... we are only opening their eyes.
But of course, it can wait.
2. General editor preferences [...]

My suggestion is to focus on this part alone.  Getting that right is
not easy, and if successful, will be a significant advancement, IMO.

Perfect. Is it there any agreed upon list of things on this front?
If not, I can collect some from the list and maybe frequent questions
in reddit, SE and somewhere else...

3. At last very last, other non-editing emacs big applications, like
mail and such.

Suggest to drop this one for now as well.  Org mode as well.

As before, we will start with the general editor.

Just as a check, do you agree that it is desirable to separate text and options
from the executable code? (sorry if my language is not appropriate,
please correct me as much as needed, I'm not a native English speaker).
Because I'm trying a way to specify this in an org-mode file and it
would be great if we can modify the wizard particular text and options
without touching the code itself.
Or maybe having this in a literate file, alternating both text and code (but
not mixed with UI text inside the code).

--
eduardo mercovich

Donde se cruzan tus talentos con las necesidades del mundo, ahí está tu vocación. (Anónimo)