Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen

From: Nicolas P. Rougier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2020 16:50:55 +0200

- Modeline is hidden
I think I'm OK with it, but this is slightly dangerous, in case this splashscreen ever gets displayed when there's more than 1 window in the frame, in which case the resulting display could be confusing because there could two windows without any visual separation between them.
If we can avoid that corner case, I'm fine with it.

Good point, I need to think how to cope with that case. My initial idea was to show this splash screen only at startup and if there's nothing else to show (a file argument would prohibit the display of the splash screen, I've just modified the code to do that, but not the two windows case).

I like the minimal design, yet I can't help wanting to put more:

- While it technically does say "Free Software" it only does that within the copyright statement. So, maybe we should have something like

> | GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY > | > | Look ma! No license agreement! This is truly Free > Software | > | Copyleft (C) 2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc. > |

  And various parts of that text would be hyperlinks.

For purely aesthetic reasons, I would prefer to stick with no link on the bottom part. Also, I'm not sure to understand the "copyleft" you mention. I took the two lines at the bottom from the "about-emacs" startup screen.

- We currently have a "GNU/Linux" hyperlink which it would be good to preserve
  within the last 2-3 lines.

I'm not sure what your refer to (I don't see such link on the default startup page).

- I think many first time users may not want "help" at first, so maybe beside "help" we should advertize a "config wizard" or a "choose your favorite UI" which would get them to some simple customization page, where I'd expect choices like "traditional Emacs UI" or "emulate
  system UI".

Currently, the "C-h" redirects to the about-emacs where a new user would find supplementary information (as he currently does).

Nicolas