Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 09:24:37 +0300

* Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> [2020-09-22 06:40]:

>   > > Welcome!
>   > > This is the first time you run Emacs, please choose how to proceed:
>   > >
>   > > [] Go Vanilla!
>   > >   (standard defaults, no customizations)
>   > >
>   > > [] Start Configuration Wizard
>   > >   (set-up your .emacs configuration file interactively)
>   > >
>   > > [] Try Emacs in enhanced-mode
>   > >   (run with a predefined configuration showing emacs potential)
>   > >
>   > > After this screen, the normal Emacs splash screen could me
>   > > presented.
>
>   > No please.
>
>   > I would not like that be included in Emacs. I am installing so many
>   > times Emacs, I need no installation wizards,
>
> I understand that you have no need for this -- but why do you object
> to it?

It is changing defaults and facing me and also the new users with
complexities, in general, it gives an active obligation to the user
versus the splash screen that does not disturb the user in the
workflow.

Emacs in my opinion does not need configuration assistant that user
has to confront, as user installed Emacs for text editing purposes,
nothing is required, and nobody needs to have .emacs to edit with
Emacs, and I do it so often exactly that way, especially on new user
accounts setup for those users. I need no .emacs in general as Emacs
is self contained with its defaults.

Traditionally I would avoid using "wizard", rather "assistant" like
GNOME is using it, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_(software)

I would not mind if there exists package that is included inside of
Emacs that can be started from splash screen and that is called "Emacs
Configuration Assistant" and that guides a person through
configuration options. Especially if such a package also speaks to the
user and guides the user's mouse pointer or cursor and actually
assists the user as artificial intelligence.

Such functions should not confront the user, as that then becomes
attention priority for the user, and user has obligation to do, even
if it is to press the key to quit the configuration assistant, that is
too much.

No editor is confronting me with the request for action, I want to
launch an editor, and be able to open a file or open buffer and start
typing text. As user I am not supposed to think about enhancing
whatever, or customization.

If such functions of a "Emacs Configuration Assistant" are separate
package that is shown on the splash screen, even if it is in the Help
menu, I would not mind of it.

> It would only require you to type a couple of characters.

I would find it irritating to be asked as user to do anything, as user
I have opened the editor with purpose to edit text, and not to play
around with configurations. Finally, as user, I do not need
configurations.

As we speak of customization of configuration files, the function M-x
customize could be made friendlier, by providing definitions of the
terms that may not be easy to understand to users.

Would the M-x customize be made friendlier in the sense that basics of
editing options are separated from advanced demands, then that would
also solve pretty much the issues of "Emacs Configuration Assistant"
(not wizard).

Example:

Electricity                 Electric behavior for self inserting keys.

And then there is no definition for electricity, I know it is fun, but
to make it friendlier, it would be good to have a glossary and that
user can move to the word and get the definition of that word.

Killing             Killing and yanking commands.

It is funny and I like it, and need no changes, but to make it
friendlier, one would need to provide definitions of such words in the
customize, as for some users it could cause misunderstoods which could
cause the person to give up.

Editing             Basic text editing facilities.
Text                Support for editing text files.

Those two customization groups differ in their description only
slightly if at all, so that is what is not friendly, as user I would
not see easy difference. If I click on "Editing" I am referring to
editing of text, if I click on Text, I am referring to editing of
text. It is not friendly enough. If I click on Text, I am then faced
with Ps Print which does not really refer to text only but to PS files
and printing, and I am faced with Printing Utilities group, and
validation of XML which does not necessarily fit into simple text
mindset.

None new function called "Emacs Configuration Wizard" which I would
rather call "Emacs Configuration Assistant" can help in describing
those customization groups better, or providing user with better
understanding.

What will make Emacs friendlier is better understanding of its
functions and usage.

Understanding is what makes friends.

Thus if Emacs Configuration Wizard, or however it may be called is
helping user to understand how Emacs works, that is very nice and
helpful, but let the user decide to launch it, and not launch it
because there is no .emacs or because user is launching Emacs first
time. Put it in Help menu or on splash screen that it can be launched,
just as I can open file from splash screen, but do not need to open
the file. I am also not actively ask to participate in opening of
files, or directories, which is basic text editing function, so I
should not be asked to decide about whatever configurations and funny
things to do.

As LISP system, I do expect Emacs to have better assistive functions,
it should speak, move the cursor and mouse pointer automatically to
point out where is that menu item, it should open menues automatically
and point to the user, even though Emacs does have all those assistive
functions more than any other piece of software, some new audio-visual
functions could make it friendlier.

> Indeed, you could surely bypass that step by copying a certain
> pre-prepared .emacs file into each new installation.  That file
> would indicate that the choice had already been made.

Myself, I do have my personal .emacs, but I have many physical
computers, and servers and my staff members and children and whoever
is facing whatever text and notes writing, and I do not find it
friendly to be faced with whatever answering on configuration wizards,
especially I would not like anybody else like programmer deciding for
me that I should configure some software, if it functions well without
configuration. On any other computer and user account that is not my
personal, I am using Emacs without .emacs as I expect text editor not
to ask user anything special for its functions to work.

Jean