Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 14:22:03 +0000

On September 22, 2020 2:10:00 PM UTC, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 09:24:37 +0300
>> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
>> Cc: nicola.manca85@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> > I understand that you have no need for this -- but why do you
>object
>> > to it?
>>
>> It is changing defaults and facing me and also the new users with
>> complexities, in general, it gives an active obligation to the user
>> versus the splash screen that does not disturb the user in the
>> workflow.
>
>You personally may find it annoying, but please keep in mind that many
>applications nowadays offer to take the user through a similar process
>first time the application is started after installation.  So I
>presume many newcomers to Emacs will not be surprised by that, and
>maybe will even expect something like that.

To make a survey online today is not so hard and not so expensive, turn
advertising on and ask people to answer few questions in exchange for free
software download, you can give them Emacs as award.

You would ask before the download if they consider themselves beginners,
intermediate or advance computer users, if they know what is teddy editor and
how often they just such, and then you would ask about the need and demand for
wizards in neutral question making, if they would like to be faced with
questions, and you would also ask if they understand exactly those questions
which you intend to implement in Emacs.

It can be done in one day even on street in front of computer shops, with few
people you could reach 100 survey results, give lemonade in exchange or offer
free Emacs CD with free software system.

Then evaluate the results, and you will find the beginner's needs and their
wants, which will make all the difference between the subjective opinion (ours)
and the objective public demand.